Tax on Monthly Pension in Thailand received from overseas by foreigners living in Thailand.


I am residing here in Thailand with a retirement visa. I receive monthly pension from my home country. Am I required to file my taxes here in Thailand given the fact that this pension has already been taxed in my country?


The money earned overseas is considered as personal income subject to income tax in Thailand only:

1. if you lived here for at least 180 days in the year and;

2. the income was earned and brought into Thailand in the same year.

If you brought the part of income earned in 2011 into Thailand in 2012, that money will not be subject to Thai income tax. So if you put your entire monthly pension in a saving account and only bring some when needed, that is a good way to do it. If you happen to be checked by the Thai Revenue Department, you just need to be able to prove that the income was brought in on first-in first-out basis. Basically, during 2012, you should bring in the money that was earned before 2012.

Contact MSNA for your Thailand tax and accounting questions.