Thai Government imposes a duty exemption measure to help manufacturers in declared disaster areas whose plants and factories were inundated by the floods.
In summary, eligible flood-affected operators can be exempted from import duty upon meeting the criteria as follows:
- The business operator has plants in declared disaster area.
- The business operator imports the goods itself.
- The imported goods are brand-new and have never been used.
- The imported goods are the same or similar to those were produced by the business operator at its plants before being inundated by the floods.
- The imported goods must be pre-approved for import by the Ministry of Industry or other authorized government agency.
The exemption covers imports commencing 1 January 2012 to 30 June 2012.
Further details on the implementation of the above mentioned measures and associated regulations have yet to be announced.
Contact MSNA for your Thailand tax and accounting questions.