At MSNA Group, we get quite often an inquiry about a work permit for working anywhere in Thailand.

In each work permit, it shows the name of your employer company, your work position and a brief job description. In addition, it says the province where you work, which is the province where your employer’s registered address is.

As a foreign employee, you need to be able to show your work permit to a police officer or a Labor officer when asked for. The Alien Working Act B.E. 2551 (2008) says you have to have your work permit on your possession or at the place where you are working, during work hours, otherwise, you may need to pay a fine of up to Baht 10,000.

Many foreigners think that they can work anywhere in Thailand when they have a work permit. Or they can work legally in different jobs to earn more incomes because of having just one work permit. No, it is not that simple. Your work permit can have more than one job or one employer. That means, all of the jobs and all of the employers need to be listed on your work permit. Now, it is not going to happen that easily. You will find that many employers are not able to sponsor your work permit. This is because each employer needs at least Baht 2M paid up capital and 4 Thai employees, both per expat employee they hire. Only BOI promoted companies may have different ratio, but then you cannot add a BOI company as one of your employers. If you get caught working where you do not have a work permit, you could face up to 5 years jail term or a fine of Baht 2,000 to 100,000 or both. Plus, you may be deported.

Now, let’s talk about working for the only employer listed on your work permit. Most likely the area you can work is the same province where your employer’s official address is. Some companies have branches in different provinces. If your work permit lists those provinces as the areas you will be working in, then you are okay. Section 52 of Foreigner Working Act, B.E. 2551 (2008) stipulates a fine of not more than Baht 20,000 if a Thailand work permit holder works in jobs or places other than at his official employer. So please make sure, if you are sent to work in different places, that they are listed in your work permit book.

Talk to us at MSNA Group. We can assist you with all your work permit needs. Whatever your scenarios are, we will have a solution for you.